How to fit text automatically in Excel
A free Office suite fully compatible with Microsoft Office
Excel has a particular line level and section width. So when you enter some text or values that consume more space than the ongoing size of cells, you'll see that it crosses the boundary of the cells. In such cases, Excel offers a few elements to change the lines and segments to fit the message in the cell. Today, in this article we will exhibit a few strategies to make excel cells grow to naturally fit the text. We need to make some adjustments using some Excel functions to make cells expand. In this article, we will apply three different methods to do that.
First, Double-Click the Mouse to Make Excel Cells Expand to Fit Text Automatically
This function also needs to perform some steps.
1) The first step to find how to fit text in excel, we need a database in our spreadsheets like I am taking an example of book names and their description in cells.
As you see there is a lot of hidden text between each other and nothing is properly classified.
2) The second step is, Move your mouse cursor to the right edge column header. When the mouse icon changes to a double-sided arrow icon, stop moving your mouse.
3) The third step is to double-click the icon to fit the text automatically.
4) Same thing and method will get followed for description as well like this and automatically description text fit in a cell.
Congratulations, by this method you successfully find how to fit text in excel.
Use a Keyboard Shortcut to fit text in Excel.
You can also use keyboard shortcuts to fit text in excel. This is also an excel function and it is very easy also. Follow these easy steps to perform this keyboard shortcut.
1) The first step is to make data as above in the spreadsheet after that use a keyboard shortcut.
2) Here you can see that book names and their description is not visible properly, so to fit text in a cell we use the keyboard shortcut formula of “Alt+H+O+I”.
3) Our third step is to select the text on which you want to expand to fit cells, then press “Alt+H+O+I” on the keyboard, your selected text will automatically fit in a cell in excel like this.
The same method will follow for the description bar.
Congratulations you again find how to fit text in excel through keyboard shortcuts.
Apply Excel Feature to Make text fit in Excel.
Excel has a characteristic element to fit text accordingly when your texts are crossing the proper line or segment level and width. The component is shown below.
1) The first step is to make data in a spreadsheet and here I am again getting book names and their descriptions as an example.
2) The second step is to click on the home button on the top of excel and many options will appear, click on the rows and column option.
3) When you press on rows and columns, a dialog box will appear, then select the cells on which you want to fix text in a cell, and then press the auto-fit column width which is showing in the dialog box, automatically your selected text will fit in a cell.
The same method should follow to fit the text of the description.
Congratulations, you again find how to fit text in excel by applying the excel feature.
You can also find this feature in the latest excel versions 2016/2018/2019 spreadsheet, where you can easily find how to fit text in excel.
Did you learn how to fit text in excel? You can follow WPS Academy to learn more features of Word Document, Excel Spreadsheets, and PowerPoint Slides.
You can also download WPS Office to edit word documents, excel, and PowerPoint for free of cost. Download now! And get an easy and enjoyable working experience
Was this helpful?
- 1. How to get month name from a date in Excel (3 easy ways)
- 2. How to compare two excel sheets and highlight differences
- 3. Check if value is in list in Excel (3 easy methods)
- 4. How to copy file names in Excel from a folder?
- 5. How to color cell based on value in Excel?
- 6. How to add month name from date in Excel formula