HLOOKUP Function in Excel
A free Office suite fully compatible with Microsoft Office
To be office excel advanced, you could learn how to use WPS Office Spreadsheet online in WPS Academy.
The HLOOKUP function can look up a value in the top row of values and returns a value in the same column from a row that you specify.
HLOOKUP(lookup_value, table_array, row_num, range_lookup)
The value to be found in the first row of the table. (can be a value, a reference, or a text string).
The table of text, numbers, or logical values, in which data is looked up. (can be a reference or a range name)
The row number in table_array from which the matching value should be returned.
Enter FALSE to find an exact match. Enter TRUE to find an approximate match. If this parameter is omitted, TRUE is the default.
Assume that we want to find John's marks in math using the HLOOKUP Function.
1. Open your table in WPS Spreadsheet, click cell B8
2. Head to the Formulas tab > Insert Function > enter HLOOKUP in the edit box.
In the pop-up box, we want to insert the HLOOKUP function.
1) Lookup_value is the value to be found in the first row of the table, in this case, John is the value we want to look up. So let's put John at Lookup_value.
2) Table_array is the table of text, numbers, or logical values, in which data is looked up. A1:H4 is the area that contains all the data, so let's put A1:H4 at Lookup_value.
3) Row_numis the row number in table_array from which the matching value should be returned. 3 is the row number where John's math score can be found, so let's put 3 at Row_num.
4) Range_lookup connects FALSE to exact match, we want an exact match for the score, so False will be the last argument.
So, we enter John at lookup_value, A1:H4 at table_array, and 3 at row_num, False at Range_lookup.
Finally, we can get a 72 as John's math mark.
Was this helpful?
- 1. How to compare two excel sheets and highlight differences
- 2. How to expand cells to fit text in Excel
- 3. How to copy file names in Excel from a folder?
- 4. How to import external data in WPS Spreadsheet
- 5. How to use the VLOOKUP function across multiple sheets in WPS Office Excel?
- 6. Check if value is in list in Excel (3 easy methods)