Free All-in-One Office Suite with PDF Editor
Edit Word, Excel, and PPT for FREE.
Read, edit, and convert PDFs with the powerful PDF toolkit.
Microsoft-like interface, easy to use.
Windows • MacOS • Linux • iOS • Android
How to add a secondary axis in excel (Step-by-Step)
By learning how to add a secondary axis in Excel, you will be able to display 2 different data series in your worksheet. When the numbers on a chart vary or have mixed data types, you'll need to add a secondary axis.
Excel creates a chart with the horizontal axis by default. The secondary axis is perfect for column and line charts. Next, you will learn how to add a secondary axis in Excel.
How to add a secondary axis in Excel 2019?
Next, you will be able to know the steps of how to add a secondary axis in excel 2019 correctly:
1. Select the row or column associated with the second data series.
2. When you select an item on the chart, theChart Tool tab will appear on the ribbon.
3. Next, select the Format tab.
4. Then, on the far left in theCurrent Selection box, it should show you the series you have selected.
5. You will need to select Format Selection.
6. In the panel on the right, under Series Option, you will need to select Secondary Axis.
7. When the second axis is added, you can customize it just like the central axis. You will be able to change the text's direction and alignment, modify the format of the number and assign it a unique axis label. The secondary axis will already appear on the right side. Excel will take some default guesses regarding scaling.
You can also follow the steps above if you want to learn how to add a secondary axis in excel 2016.
How to add a secondary axis in Excel secondary vertical axis?
To learn how to add a secondary axis in excel online vertically, you will need to follow these steps:
1. Select the data series you want to view using the secondary vertical axis. Do one of the following:
• You can right-click on the data series and choose Format Data Serie from the pop-up menu.
• In theData Series Forma panel, in theSeries Option tab, you will need to select theSecondary Axi option instead of thePrimary Axis:
• You will then need to right-click on the selection and from the pop-up menu
• To continue, you will need to go to the dialog box andChange Chart Typ. You will then need to select theSecondary axis for the appropriate data series option.
This will cause Excel to add the secondary vertical axis for your selected data series.
How to show a double vertical axis on one side?
You are in the right place to learn how to add a secondary axis in Excel. Here are the steps to show a double vertical axis on your chart:
1. Select the vertical axis that you want to move to the opposite side of the plot area and then right click on it. To continue, selectFormat Axi from the pop-up menu.
2. In theFormat Axi panel, in theAxis Option option, in theLabel section, you will need to choose the appropriate option from theLabel Position drop-down list.
• Next to Axi (Using by default) shows the central vertical axis on the left side of the plot area and the secondary vertical axis on the right side of the plot area.
High will show you the central axis at the highest data values on the right-hand side.
• WhileLo shows the secondary axis at the lowest data values, on the left side.
• None, hide labels for the axis. You will be able to select it and change its options, but you will not be able to see the labels.
As you can see, the steps of how to add a secondary axis in excel mac are easy to follow. In a few minutes, you can add a secondary axis to your chart.
Have you learned how to add a secondary axis in Excel? With a second axis, you will be able to make a better comparison of trends. If you want to learn new Excel features, you can also follow WPS Academy.
You can also free download WPS Office to edit and process Excel, PowerPoint, and Word documents and improve your working skills.