How to add line of best fit in excel on mac
A free Office suite fully compatible with Microsoft Office
A trendline, also known as a line of best fit, is a straight or curved line on a graph that depicts the data's overall pattern or direction. This analytical tool is frequently used to display data movement over time or a correlation between two variables.
How to add a line of best fit in excel online, 2016 and 2019
The procedure of adding the best fit line to your charts in newer software versions, such as Excel 2019, is pretty straightforward. To properly examine your data, you must first make a chart, after which you must add and edit the line. This will result in a best-fit line.
1. Open the Excel document to which the best fit line will be added. Check to see whether the worksheet already has data in it.
2. With the line of best fit, highlight the data you wish to examine. A chart will be created using the selected data.
3. Switch to the Insert tab using the Ribbon interface. Click the Insert Scatter (X, Y) or Bubble Chart icon in the Charts window, as illustrated in the figure below.
4. Select the first Scatter chart choice, as seen in the screenshot below. This will add a Scatter chart to your document, based on the data you marked before.
5. Right-click on any of the data points once the chart has been put into your worksheet. From the context menu, choose the Add Trendline option.
6. On the right side of the window, you should see a pane labelled Format Trendline open. Look for the Trendline Options tab and then choose Linear from the drop-down menu.
7. Make sure the checkbox next to Display Equation on Chart is enabled at the bottom of the Trendline Options section. The arithmetic calculations that were utilised to construct the best fit line are displayed below. (Optional)
8. Switch to the Fill & Line and Effects tabs in the Format Trendline window to adjust how the line of best fit looks on the chart. You may completely adjust the appearance of the line, making it stand out from the rest of your chart.
9. To quit the Format Trendline window, click the X in the top-right corner. With your line of best fit entered into the chart, you should be able to work.
Tip: Customize the design and colours of your chart using the Design tab once it has been selected. You may design custom charts that are formatted exactly as you want them. Combine this with the trendline customisation tools to make your charts really unique.
How to choose the best trendline for your data in excel
With basic linear data sets, a linear trendline is a best-fit straight line. If the pattern in your data points resembles a line, your data is linear. A linear trendline indicates that something is steadily rising or declining.
A linear trendline clearly indicates that refrigerator sales have continuously increased over a 13-year period in the following example. The R-squared score is 0.9036, indicating that the line is well-fitting to the data.
A logarithmic trendline is a best-fit curving line that is particularly effective when the rate of change in the data rapidly climbs or drops before levelling out. Negative and positive numbers can be used in a logarithmic trendline.
A logarithmic trendline is used in the following example to show expected population increase of animals in a fixed-space region, where population levelled out as animal space reduced. The R-squared score of 0.9407 indicates that the line fits the data rather well.
Note: Above written tutorial was an attempt to explain how to add line of best fit in excel on Windows and Mac and we have also shown how to choose the best trendline for your data in excel.
You just need to have a little understanding of how and which way things work and you are good to go. With having this basic knowledge or information of how to use it, you can also access and use different other options on excel or spreadsheet. Also, it is very similar to Word or Document. So, in a way, if you learn one thing, like Excel, you can automatically learn how to use Word as well because both of them are very similar in so many ways. If you want to know more about WPS Office, you can download WPS Office to access, Word, Excel, PowerPoint for free.
Was this helpful?
- 1. How to get month name from a date in Excel (3 easy ways)
- 2. How to compare two excel sheets and highlight differences
- 3. Check if value is in list in Excel (3 easy methods)
- 4. How to copy file names in Excel from a folder?
- 5. How to color cell based on value in Excel?
- 6. How to add month name from date in Excel formula