How to sum if cell contains text in Excel?
A free Office suite fully compatible with Microsoft Office
We can add certain type of information in a data by using manual operations if the amount of data is limited. For adding information in Large sized files using manual operations is an impossible task and it will take a lot of time. Excel users can add certain text by using various if formulas. If formulas are very beneficial for excel users to avail many features of Excel. If formulas are an essential part of Excel for storing and formulating data.
In excel, if cell contains formulas can be used to add a specific type of information consisting of both text and numerals. We can simply apply if function for the addition of information in the entire data stored in an excel spreadsheet. Some of the methods to sum if cell contains text in excel are explained in this article that will help the readers to comprehend the usage of if cell contains formulas for adding certain text string. These methods are compatible to 2016/2019/mac/online versions.
How To Sum If Cell Contains Specific Text?
We can use the function of SUMIF to sum the data of selected cell. SUMIF feature is very helpful for the excel users in adding specific text. The steps to access SUMIF function for the addition of a certain text string are discussed below. This method is applicable for 2016/2019/mac/online versions.
1. First, we will select the cell range containing the text we want to add. Suppose in this case the cell range is A2 to A4.
2. Then we will apply the formula in the formula box =SUMIF(A1:A4,”Fruit”,C1:C4).
3. This will result in addition in the cost of the specific text i.e., meat from the cells of the entire data.
This technique works with 2016/2019/mac/online versions.
How To Sum If Cell Contains Partial Text?
We can also use SUMIF function for adding partial text present in the cells of the entire data. The steps for adding partial text in the selected cell range is as follows. This method is applicable for 2016/2019/mac/online versions.
1. First, we will select the cell range from which we want to find and add up the partial text.
2. Then we will enter the partial text in the formula box i.e., =SUMIF(A2:A4,”*Fruit*”,C2:C4).
3. This will result in finding of the partial text from the selected cell range.
This process is applicable for 2016/2019/mac/online versions.
How To Sum If Cell Contains Text And Numbers?
We can add text and numbers in the selected cells by using SUMIF function. To add certain numbers and text from the selected cell range we will follow the given steps. This process is applicable for 2016/2019/mac/online versions.
1. First, we will select the cell range consisting of wanted text and numbers i.e. A2 to A4.
2. Then we will apply the formula in the formula box i.e., =SUMIF(A2:A4,”*Shoes*”,B2:B4).
3. This will result in finding certain text and numbers from the selected cell range using SUMIF function.
This process works with 2016/2019/Mac/online versions.
Did you learn about how to sum If cell contains text in Excel using different methods? You can follow WPS Academy to learn more features of Word Document, Excel Spreadsheets, and PowerPoint Slides.
You can also download WPS Office to edit the word documents in excel, and PowerPoint for free of cost. Download now! And get an easy and enjoyable working experience.
- 1. How to get month name from a date in Excel (3 easy ways)
- 2. Check if value is in list in Excel (3 easy methods)
- 3. How to Copy File Names in Excel from a Folder?
- 4. How to add text to beginning or end of all cells in Excel
- 5. How to color cell based on value in Excel?
- 6. How to compare two excel sheets and highlight differences