How to Copy File Names in Excel from a Folder?
A free Office suite fully compatible with Microsoft Office
Copying files in excel is an important skill that you need as a student or a business person. It is necessary for an individual in this modern technological era to learn copying file name in excel. It is one of the most useful skill in the world.
The copy file name option in Excel is a useful way to display chunk of files in excel or make changes to the name of a file. If you want to copy large number of file names into excel, it will be a hectic and tedious task if you type them manually. In this article we will show you how copy file names in excel in easy and simple way. There are different methods to do it. Let us take you through to each one by one.
Tips that are provided in this article are compatible with versions 2010/2013/2016.
USING CTRL+C AND CTRL+V TO COPY FILE NAMES IN EXCEL
If you want to copy the name of a file in Excel, use CTRL+C and CTRL+V. The keyboard shortcut is Ctrl+c, followed by Ctrl+v on your PC or Command+c followed by Command+v on Mac.
This works well if you want to paste the copied name into another column or cell of your workbook. For example, if you want to copy a filename from one sheet and paste it into another sheet, then use ctrl-c followed by ctrl-v.
1. Open Excel as well as file explorer Open File Explorer
2. Select the file you want to copy.
3. Press CTRL+C
4. Paste the file by using CTRL+V on Excel sheet.
USING COPY AS PATH TO COPY FILE NAMES IN EXCEL
Copy as Path is used to create shortcuts on the desktop and in the Start menu. It is very useful when you want to create shortcuts for files or folders that are located at different locations on your computer.. You can also use this to copy file names into excel.
To copy a file name in Excel, you can use the following steps:
1. Open Excel.
2. Navigate to the folder and select the required files.
3. Right click the mouse, a window will pop up. In this window, select copy as path. This copy the path of files to clipboard.
4. Navigate to excel, press the ALT + TAB key, and paste the files.
And that's it , you have copied file names into the excel
Copying File name in Excel using Import data
1. Click on Data > Import Data > From File > Select data source.
2. Enter the main folder of your files and select the files you want to import
3. Select open and your file name is copied into excel.
That's how you import files into excel by using in built tools
Did you learn about how to copy file names in excel using different methods. You can follow WPS academy to learn more features of Word document, Excel Spread sheets, and power point slides.
You can also download WPS office to edit the word documents , Excel Spread sheets, and PowerPoint free of cost. Download Now! And get an enjoyable working space.
- 1. How to add fonts in WPS Office word
- 2. How to get month name from a date in Excel (3 easy ways)
- 3. Check if value is in list in Excel (3 easy methods)
- 4. How to Insert a Checkbox in Word Document on Mac or Windows
- 5. How to delete a blank page in WPS Writer Word?
- 6. How to Copy File Names in Excel from a Folder?