How to open a text file in Excel
A free Office suite fully compatible with Microsoft Office
When working on a range of projects, you could discover that you need to open a text file in Excel for a number of different reasons. This could be because of something as simple as a typo.
Data generation can be accomplished in a variety of methods, much like the design of each application can be tailored to meet the requirements of a certain task. Word is capable of producing documents that have the format and feel of a PDF when it is used.
Text files can be created using a wide range of programs, but in order to access the data that they hold, Excel is the only tool that can open them. A slow project is the result if you don't know how to open a text file in Excel.
First tip to open a text file in excel
If you want to open a text file in excel the first step you need to do is save file in text format for that choose the text format while saving the file.
1. Click the Data tab in Excel when the spreadsheet has been opened to the location where you wish to save the data. The option to import data is highlighted in red in the following picture; navigate there.
2. When you open the option to import data, you will see several alternatives, one of which is to choose import data again.
3. When prompted, select OK from the pop-up box.
4. Now choose the source of the data. It refers to the text file from which you want to receive the data that you want to convert to excel, which is shown by number 1 in the figure that follows. After that, select the file from your own computer that you like to convert by clicking the following option.
5. Stay with other encodings and click the next button after the window for file conversion has opened up after you click the next button.
6. You should keep the delimited option selected in the text import wizard step 1 of 3 window and then click the next button.
7. You should now be on step 2 of 3 of the text import process. In this window, keep using tab, and then click the next button.
8. Now stay with the General option and click finish.
9. Once you will click the finish your data will be imported to the excel.
Second tip to open a text file in excel
1. In the WPS spreadsheet, go to the cell where you wish the file to be embedded and click inside of it.
2. Navigate to the insert menu on the WPS spreadsheet, and then select the object option from the drop-down menu that appears.
3. When you select the object to insert, a window to do so will appear when you click it. Choose the option that says create from file, then navigate to find the document that you wish to integrate in the WPS spreadsheet.
4. After you have browsed to the file that you wish to embed, click on the option to display it as an icon, and then hit ok. Your file will then be embedded into the WPS worksheet.
This article describes the steps that must be taken in order to open a text file in Excel spreadsheet. If you would want additional information on the WPS office, please check out the webpage for the WPS Academy. This website also offers a free download of WPS Office, which enables users to edit documents saved in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and PDF formats. If you visit this website, you can take advantage of this offer.
Was this helpful?
- 1. How to get month name from a date in Excel (3 easy ways)
- 2. How to compare two excel sheets and highlight differences
- 3. Check if value is in list in Excel (3 easy methods)
- 4. How to copy file names in Excel from a folder?
- 5. How to color cell based on value in Excel?
- 6. How to add month name from date in Excel formula