How to remove text in Excel
A free Office suite fully compatible with Microsoft Office
The data stored in excel consists of multiple characters like numbers and text. Sometimes we add irrelevant text in our spreadsheet which increased the file size and it becomes difficult to handle large files. Excel users can reduce their file size by removing unwanted text from their excel worksheets. Erasing unnecessary text results in creation of a more precise and accurate data which is easy to store and analyze.
Excel provides several features that facilitate excel users in organizing and storing different kinds of data in excel spreadsheet. Removal of irrelevant text in excel is one of the major features. Excel has made easy for its users to remove unwanted text from their data by utilizing several methods. In this article we will explain some of these techniques which will help the excel users in creating a precise and organized data by removing unnecessary text. These methods work with 2016/2019/mac/online.
How To Remove Text In Excel By Using Find And Replace Function?
Find and replace function is a very helpful feature introduced by excel. It has proved to be very beneficial in overcoming several problems regarding organizing and storing data in excel. It is a quiet simple technique and helps excel users in removing unwanted text from their data by following the steps given below. This technique is applicable for 2016/2019/mac/online versions.
1. First, we will select the cells containing irrelevant data that we want to remove.
2. Then we will open the find and replace dialog box by pressing Crtl and H keys at the same time.
3. After that we will enter the text, we want to replace in find what box and we will leave the replace with box blank.
4. Then we will press the enter key and finally the unwanted text will be removed from the selected cells.
This method is applicable for 2016/2019/mac/online versions.
How To Remove Text In Excel By Using Substitute Function?
Substitute function is also a useful technique that helps the excel users in erasing unnecessary text from their data. It is a consists of a formula which removes text from a selected cell. The steps to activate this feature are mentioned below. This function work with 2016/2019/mac/online versions.
1. First, we will select the cell from which we want to remove the text. We have selected cell A2.
2. Then we will enter the formula in the formula box. The formula consists of the text we want to remove in this case the irrelevant text in “Betty has”.
3. We will put this text in the formula i.e., = SUBSTITUTE(A2,”Betty has”,””).
4. This will result in the removal of the selected text.
This process is applicable for 2016/2019/mac/online versions.
How to To Remove Text In Excel Using Text To Column?
Another easy way for the removal of text in excel is by using the feature of text to columns. The steps of operating this technique are as follows. This function works with 2016/2019/mac/online versions.
1. First we will select the cell having irrelevant text then we will go to data tab.
2. After that we will click on the option of text to columns in data tools.
3. Then we will select fixed with and click the option of enter.
4. This procedure will remove all the text from the cell leaving the numbers behind.
This technique is applicable for 2016/2019/mac/online versions.
Did you learn about how to remove text in excel using different methods? You can follow WPS Academy to learn more features of Word Document, Excel Spreadsheets, and PowerPoint Slides.
You can also download WPS Office to edit the word documents, excel, and PowerPoint for free of cost. Download now! And get an easy and enjoyable working experience.
Was this helpful?
- 1. How to get month name from a date in Excel (3 easy ways)
- 2. How to compare two excel sheets and highlight differences
- 3. Check if value is in list in Excel (3 easy methods)
- 4. How to copy file names in Excel from a folder?
- 5. How to color cell based on value in Excel?
- 6. How to add month name from date in Excel formula