Free All-in-One Office Suite with PDF Editor
Edit Word, Excel, and PPT for FREE.
Read, edit, and convert PDFs with the powerful PDF toolkit.
Microsoft-like interface, easy to use.
Windows • MacOS • Linux • iOS • Android
Insert Horizontal Line in Word with Professional Tools
Most people prefer to carry out their work and even higher studies simply. The program shares a series of tools to help you do a professional job without needing an expert. However, your program knowledge may be limited, recognizing that you do not know how to insert horizontal line in word.
It is time for you to learn how to insert horizontal line in word by following instructions. Regardless of what type of Word version you have on your computer, it will be easy to insert a line and even change its design.
Insert Horizontal Line in Word in A Traditional Way
If you want to know how to insert horizontal line for resume, do it traditionally. To fulfill this purpose, you will have to:
1. You must open the Word program on your computer.
2. Select the tool to insert a line in the document. It is found in the paragraph option on the home page.
3. Click on “border” to bring up the dropdown menu and select the “horizontal line” tool.
4. Modify the line to your liking within the Word document.
Insert Horizontal Line in Word with The Autoformat Function
Another way you can learn to insert horizontal line in word is by using the autoformat feature. In this case, you will have to do the following:
1. Open your document in word and place the cursor to make the line.
2. You must type three hyphens and press the enter key to solidify the line.
If you want to make a double horizontal line, you will have to write three equal signs and press the enter key.
- Finally, if you want to have a triple horizontal line with a thick center, you will have to type three number signs and press the enter key.
- If you want to make a dotted horizontal line, you will have to type three asterisks and press the enter key.
- If you want to have a wavy horizontal line, you will have to write three tildes and press the enter key.
If you want to have a bold horizontal line, you must write the underline sign and press the enter key.
3. Do not forget to save your document in word after creating the horizontal line in any available presentations.
Insert Horizontal Line in Word Using the Shapes Tool
An efficient way to insert horizontal lines in the word is by using the shapes tool within the program. With this tool, you will know how to insert horizontal line in the footer or other area within the document that requires the horizontal line. To take advantage of the shapes tool, you will have to do the following:
1. Open the Word document and click on the “insert” option between the start and design.
2. Select the option that will help you insert horizontal line in word.
3. Click on the tool to be indicated with an icon.
4. Drag the line and use the shift key to horizontal or vertical.
5. If you want to know how to insert horizontal line online with a unique design, you must select the line and press the format option.
How to Insert A Signature Line in Word
1. Open the Word document and place the cursor where you want the signature line. Go to Insert tab. Select sign tab. (shortcut Control+U)
2. Click the Signature line tab. A Dialog Box will appear. You can create input,handwrite or insert a signature image
3. Press enter. The following Signature line will appear.
How to Insert A Line Break in Word
Line breaks are helpful if you want to separate paragraphs but don't want the space to register as an empty line.
Place the cursor on the space you want to insert the line break
Press SHIFT+ENTER.Line break will appear.
How to Insert A Line in Word on Mobile
1. Open the Word document on your mobile device. Place the cursor where you want the line placed by tapping the screen.
2. Select Insert from the home menu. Go to shapes.
3.Select Line from the shapes menu. A line will appear where you have placed the cursor. You can adjust the length and orientation of the line on your touch screen by dragging.
How to Delete A Line in Word
Place the cursor on the line you want to delete and select it.
2. Press delete. This will remove the line from your document.
Troubleshooting Line Placement and Formatting Issues
Check line placement: Ensure that you have placed the line correctly by verifying the cursor's position and the selected paragraph. Adjust the cursor or selected paragraph if needed.
Adjust line formatting: If the line is not appearing as desired, right-click on the line and select "Format" or "Format Shape" to access formatting options. Make adjustments to line style, thickness, color, and other properties to achieve the desired look.
Use alignment options: If the line is misaligned or not positioned correctly, utilize alignment options such as alignment guides, ruler, or alignment tools to align the line precisely with other elements in the document.
Clear formatting: If the line has inherited unwanted formatting from a previous selection, select the line and click on the "Clear Formatting" option to remove any conflicting formatting.
Update software: Ensure that you are using the latest version of your word processing software, as updates often include bug fixes and improvements related to line placement and formatting.
Seek help from support resources: If the issues persist, consult the software's official documentation, user forums, or support resources for troubleshooting guides or reach out to customer support for assistance.
By following these troubleshooting steps, you can address common line placement and formatting issues in your document and achieve the desired results.
Best Alternative to Microsoft - WPS Office
WPS Office is a free program that is Microsoft Office compatible. It has an easy-to-use interface with a dedicated button for quick access, a large selection of pre-designed line templates, and handy modification possibilities. In comparison to Microsoft Office's more complex and time-consuming method, these capabilities make the procedure more efficient and simplified.
Compatibility: WPS is highly compatible with Microsoft Office documents, allowing seamless editing and sharing of files in popular formats.
Cross-Platform Availability: WPS is available on multiple platforms, enabling users to work on their Microsoft Office documents across various devices.
Free Software: WPS offers a free version that provides essential functionality for creating and editing Microsoft Office documents, making it a cost-effective choice.
Can I customize the color of a line in Word?
Yes, you can customize the color of a line in Word. When using the Shapes function or other drawing tools, you have the option to select and apply a specific color to the line. Word provides a wide range of color options, including standard colors, theme colors, and custom colors.
Step 1 Choose the line you wish to modify.
If you wish to alter several lines, choose the first line, then CTRL while selecting the other lines.
Step 2 On the Format tab, click the arrow next to Shape Outline, and then select the desired color.
Can I add a line between specific paragraphs?
Yes, you can add a line between specific paragraphs in Word. Here's how you can do it:
Step 1 Place your cursor at the beginning of the paragraph where you want to add the line.
Step 2 Go to the "Home" tab in the Word ribbon.
Step 3 In the "Paragraph" section, click on the "Borders" . It usually looks like a square divided into four smaller squares.
Step 4 From the drop-down menu, select "Horizontal Line."
Word will automatically insert a horizontal line between the paragraphs.
How do I remove all lines from my Word document?
If you only want to delete a few horizontal lines, you can do so manually as follows:
Step 1 Place the cursor above the line
Step 2 Select the Page Borders item in the Page Background group of the Design tab
Alg tag = Select Page Border
Step 3. Select the Borders tab, select None, and then OK. And the designated horizontal line will be removed immediately.
In summary, the articles discuss three easy ways to insert lines in Word documents.While the traditional method offers customization and flexibility, it can be time-consuming. AutoFormat provides efficiency and consistency but has limited customization options. The Shapes function allows extensive line customization but may require more time and familiarity with the tool.
Among the alternatives, WPS Office is highlighted as a free and user-friendly program that offers compatibility with Microsoft Office documents. It provides an easy-to-use interface, a wide selection of line templates, and simplified modification capabilities. These advantages make WPS Office a compelling option for users seeking a streamlined and cost-effective alternative to Microsoft Office.