Free All-in-One Office Suite with PDF Editor
Edit Word, Excel, and PPT for FREE.
Read, edit, and convert PDFs with the powerful PDF toolkit.
Microsoft-like interface, easy to use.
Windows • MacOS • Linux • iOS • Android
How to count text cells in Excel
Excel is a spreadsheet, and you need to count cells to do your job right. The spreadsheets, which typically contain cells with a combination of numbers and text, are an excellent way to store and analyze data. It's helpful to know how to count cells. This is because Excel doesn't always give you the information you need, and counting cells helps you figure out where that information is.
For example, when you have a large list and you wish know the number of items per cell. And it is quite easy to do so. Some helpful methods are mentioned below.
Instructions in this article are compatible with 2016/2019/mac/online, as well as the most recent 2021 version.
The COUNTA Function
If you need to count logical values, text, or error values, COUNTA function is the way to go.
1. If you have a disordered list or a very large number of cells, you can use =COUNTA function.
2. The COUNTA function can be typed onto the target cell (where you wish to display the number of counted cells), or on the function search box above. Here, A10 is the target cell.
3. Next, double click on the COUNTA function and drag your cursor through the cells you want to count. The COUNTA function does not count empty cells. The cell names will be displayed automatically in the argument of the function.
4. Press enter and the number of selected non-empty cells would be displayed.
The COUNTIF Function
If you want to count only certain required text cells, use the COUNTIF function. For example, if you need to count a definite word repeated many times in the list, you should use the COUNTIF function instead of the COUNTA.
1. Let’s suppose you have this list and you wish to count the number of times the word ‘hello’ is used.
2. Select a target cell to input your formula. The argument of the function contains range and criteria. The criteria is the word ‘hello’. It is written inside double inverted commas (“”) after a comma (,).
3. Drag your cursor through the range of required cells and type your criteria.
4. Press enter to apply formula and view the result.
The LEN Function
1.This helps you count characters in the chosen cell. Type =LEN in a target cell where you want the number of characters to be displayed and type or select the cell you want to count the characters of.
2. Press enter and the number of characters would be displayed.
All of the steps described above are compatible with the version 2016/2019/mac/online of WPS Excel.
Did you learn about how to count text cells in WPS Excel? You can follow WPS Academy to learn more features of Word Document, Excel Spreadsheets and PowerPoint Slides.
You can also download WPS Office to edit the word documents, excel, PowerPoint for free of cost. Download now! And get an easy and enjoyable working experience.
- 1. How to count cells by color in Spreadsheet?
- 2. How to count unique text values in Excel?
- 3. How to Count Cells with A Specific Text in Excel
- 4. How to Count Blank Excel Cells in WPS Spreadsheet [Step-by-Step Guide]
- 5. How to count cells with text in excel
- 6. How to count cells with text in Excel online