How to find text in a cell in Excel
A free Office suite fully compatible with Microsoft Office
Finding text in Excel is undoubtedly one of the most useful tasks to work with. After all, why should a spreadsheet just be used for numerical data when text can be so much more interesting? Now, finding an exact value might not be too big of a deal, but if you want to find something a little more complex, then you're going to need some help! In this tutorial, we will look at how to find text in a cell in Excel.
Tips that are provided in this article are compatible with versions 2010/2013/2016.
How to find text in a cell in Excel using the Find function？
A snippet of data might be spread across numerous cells, rows, and columns. When a client needs the information in a specific cell, it becomes your job to find that piece of data and place it in the client's hands. The best way to do this is to use the Find function.
1.Open up excel, and type the following function
=Find(text, Cell number to search)
2.Let’s suppose we want to search for what’s inside E6; we will write it as
=Find(New York, E6)
3. It has returned us one, indicating that it occurs one time there.
And that’s how you use Find function to find text in excel
How to find text in a cell in Excel using the Search function？
1. Search for text in a cell is an easy task with the help of Excel's built-in search function. The search function is part of Microsoft Office 2016, 2013, and 2010. To use it, you need to follow these steps:
2. Go to the cell where you want to find text.
3. Enter =SEARCH(text) in the formula bar (where A1 is the reference cell).
4. It has also returned one indicating that there’s some text present.
How to find text in a cell in Excel without using the function？
Finding text in a cell is easy, but it can be a bit tricky to explain.
1. The CTRL+F keyboard shortcut is the quickest way to find text in a cell. The Find and Replace dialogue box will then be displayed. You can write the text you're looking for in this box, and then click the Find Next button to find it..
Let’s suppose we have to find New York. In we will type it and see the results.
It will tell us the location of our text in the file as shown.
Now you know how to find text in a cell in excel without using the formula
Did you learn about how to find text in a cell in Excel? You can follow WPS academy to learn more features of Word documents, Excel Spreadsheets, and PowerPoint slides
You can also download WPS Office to edit word documents, Excel Spreadsheets, and PowerPoint free of cost. Download Now! And get an enjoyable working space.
Was this helpful?
- 1. How to get month name from a date in Excel (3 easy ways)
- 2. How to compare two excel sheets and highlight differences
- 3. Check if value is in list in Excel (3 easy methods)
- 4. How to copy file names in Excel from a folder?
- 5. How to color cell based on value in Excel?
- 6. How to add month name from date in Excel formula