How to insert drop down list in excel
A free Office suite fully compatible with Microsoft Office
How to insert drop down list in excel? Excel is one of the most used Microsoft Office programs in companies because it allows you to create, manage and modify spreadsheets. It has many important tools that make your job easier, such as the dropdown list.
A drop down list in the cells will help you work more efficiently. In addition, this type of drop-down list allows users to choose an item from the list you have created. That is, they facilitate data entry.
Below you will know how to insert drop down list in excel in simple steps.
How to insert drop down list in excel for Windows?
1. You must select the spreadsheet's cell in which you want to create the dropdown list.
2. You must go to the Data and the ribbon tab and then to Data validation.
3. In this step of how to insert drop down list in excel, go to Settings in the allowed box. You must click on List.
4. To continue, you need to click on Source and select your list range.
5. If you want people to leave the cell empty, you can check the blank Ignore box. Then, check the box Dropdown in the cell.” Click on the Incoming message tab.
6. If you want a pop-up message to appear when clicking on the cell, you must check Show entry message when the cell is selected. Write a title and a message in the boxes. If you don't want this message to appear, uncheck the box.
With these steps, you willknow how to insert drop down list in excel button.
How to create a drop down list using data from another Excel spreadsheet?
With the previous steps of how to insert drop down list in excel, you will have created a drop-down list. Next, you will know how to insert drop down list in excel from another sheet without complications.
1. You first need to select the sheet you want the dropdown box to appear on. Then select the cell where you want the dropdown box to appear.
2. In the Ribbon, you must select the data.
3. Data validation.
4. Then go to the Settings tab.
5. Change allows to List. Next, you need to set the font. The dropdown menu (list box) will have been successfully created upon completion.
Steps to insert a dropdown list in Excel 2013
The simple way to how to insert drop down list in Excel 2013 is to follow the steps below:
1. In the Data tab, you must select Data validation.
2. Click on Data Validation in the dropdown list.
3. You must select List from the Allow drop-down menu in the dialog box.
4. Then, in the source field, you must write the options you want to include in your drop-down menu. Commas must separate them. Finally, click on OK.
Were you able to learn the steps of how to insert drop down list in excel? With the steps mentioned above, you will be able to create a dropdown list successfully. If you want to learn more about the functions of Excel, you can access the WPS Academy. You can also download the WPS Office software.
WPS Office will allow you to process documents in PowerPoint, Excel, and Word for free.
Was this helpful?
- 1. How to get month name from a date in Excel (3 easy ways)
- 2. How to compare two excel sheets and highlight differences
- 3. Check if value is in list in Excel (3 easy methods)
- 4. How to copy file names in Excel from a folder?
- 5. How to color cell based on value in Excel?
- 6. How to add month name from date in Excel formula