How to use count on excel
A free Office suite fully compatible with Microsoft Office
Do you need to count the number of cells that contain a certain value in Excel? Or how about counting the number of occurrences of a particular word or phrase? If so, then you need to learn how to use the Count function. In this article, we will teach you how to use Count on Excel and provide some tips and tricks for getting the most out of this powerful function.
The count function can be used to get the following results depending on your need.
To count the number of cells that contain a certain value
To count the number of occurrences of a particular word or phrase
To count the number of cells that meet certain criteria (e.g., cells that are greater than or equal to a certain value)
How to Use Count on Excel: To count the number of cells that contain a certain value?
1. Open the data file that you wish to count.
Let's say we're curious about the total number of countries where sales occur in March.
2. After opening the file, navigate to the formulas section, and then select the insert function option. The window for the insert function will now open.
3. After you have brought up the insert function window, choose the COUNT function from the drop-down menu, and then click the OK button.
4. The argument function will open as soon as you click the ok button; at this point, choose the range option under the value 1 heading.
5. As we want to count the number of countries which have sale in march therefore the sale of march is value 1 select the value 1 and click ok.
6. As you click ok the result will be there.
How to Use Count on Excel: To count the number of occurrences of a particular word or phrase
Suppose we want to count the number of cells which have the “WORD”
1. Choose the countif function and then click ok.
2. Now select the range and then go to the criteria and put the equal sign and word =word and then click ok.
3. As you click ok the excel will produce the result.
How to Use Count on Excel: To count the number of cells that meet certain criteria
We also have the option of using the count function with particular conditions. For example, assume we wish to count the number of sales in March that are higher than 23,000.
1. Choose the countif function and then click ok
2. Now select the range you want, then enter the value of your condition into the criteria box, and finally, after clicking ok, you will see the results.
3. Excel will create the result as soon as you press the ok button. This indicates that just six nations have sales of more than 23 thousand.
After reading this article about how to use count on Excel, you should find that counting in Excel is much simpler than it was before. If you have any inquiries, please don't hesitate to write them down in the comments section below. If you want more information about the WPS office, you may get it by going to the website for the WPS Academy. You can also edit documents in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and PDF format by downloading WPS Office for free from this page and using it. This page contains links to download WPS Office.
Was this helpful?
- 1. How to get month name from a date in Excel (3 easy ways)
- 2. How to compare two excel sheets and highlight differences
- 3. Check if value is in list in Excel (3 easy methods)
- 4. How to copy file names in Excel from a folder?
- 5. How to color cell based on value in Excel?
- 6. How to add month name from date in Excel formula