How to use countif in excel (Step-by-Step)
A free Office suite fully compatible with Microsoft Office
If you want to expand your knowledge about Excel, it is good that you familiarize yourself with the main tools that compose it. Among the things that might interest you is how to use countif in Excel, so you should consider looking into it. It's time for you to learn how to use countif in excel using three effective methods that will work in any situation.
Knowing how to use countif in excel Online will allow you to do a good job and increase your performance. This function counts the equal values in different cells for you to use in your work.
How to use countif in Excel to count boolean values?
If you are looking to learn how to use countif in excel Mac to count boolean values, you will have to be guided by these methods:
1. Open the Excel file where you contain the true and false data in the cells. Now you will only have to use the formula =COUNTIF(A1:A5), as seen in the example, selecting the range of cells where the values to count appear.
2. You can also use the =COUNTIF(A1:A5,FALSE) function to find the cells containing this specific text.
3. Do not forget to previously select a cell where the number of cells with the text you are looking for will appear.
How to use countif in Excel with numeric criteria?
You can learn how to use countif in excel 2019 using numeric criteria like this:
1. Enter the Excel file containing various data to which you want to apply the countif function. You will have a clear example of a column with 7 number values.
2. Then, you must select the cells to apply the formula, which in this case would almost be from the range A1 to A5, and apply the function =COUNTIF(A1:A5,C1).
3. You will have to press the enter key and verify that the result appeared in cell C1 as you had previously announced.
4. Then, you will only have to apply another formula where you search for all the cells that contain a value greater than or equal to 10. In this way, you would obtain a function =COUNTIF(A1:A5 >=10).
5. Now, you will notice that the result previously seen in cell C1 changed from 20 to 10 after applying the new function. This is explained by the fact that the & value joins the greater than or equal to symbol with the value located in C1.
6. Now, you have to apply the countif formula to find the cells that do not have a value of 7. Leaving the formula =COUNTIF(A1:A5, 7).
7. As a final step, you will need to use countif to count all cells with a value equal to 3 and 7 by applying the function =COUNTIF(A1:A5,3)+CONTIF(A1:A5,7).
How to use countif in Excel in text?
The last option to consider for you to learn how to use countif in excel 2016 would be applying it to texts in the following way:
1. Open the Excel file where the texts you want to count appear. In the example, a column with several cells that have texts is shown. To count the word star, you will only have to apply the formula =COUNTIF(A1:A7, star).
2. After writing the formula, you must click on the enter key. Another option to consider is that at the end of the sentence, you put a question mark to locate all those similar characters, for example, =COUNTIF(A1:A7, star?).
3. Likewise, you can also place an asterisk at the end of the search text to have matches with a series of zeros. For example: =COUNTIF(A1:A7,star*).
4. You only have to see the results when applying one of the three formulas and agree with the results.
5. Another resource to consider is using the function: =COUNTIF(A1:A7, *) to only search the cells with words.
If you learn to use countif in excel, you will be able to run multiple jobs in Excel without much trouble. Perhaps the countif formula is one of the most important in the program because, with it, you can easily and safely count the values in the cells. You only have to apply the methods explained previously and take great advantage of them when executing them.
If you still have doubts about how to use countif in excel, you can find more information on the subject on the internet. You shouldn't just get extra information about the countif function and view other examples of how to apply it. It is good that you also try downloading WPS Office on your computer so you can use Excel and Word for free.
- 1. How to get month name from a date in Excel (3 easy ways)
- 2. Check if value is in list in Excel (3 easy methods)
- 3. How to Copy File Names in Excel from a Folder?
- 4. How to add text to beginning or end of all cells in Excel
- 5. How to color cell based on value in Excel?
- 6. How to compare two excel sheets and highlight differences