How to use excel functions
A free Office suite fully compatible with Microsoft Office
Excel is one of the most widely used and popular software for calculating basic tasks like counting, calculating, under certain conditions and also used for business related complicated functions. But if you want to use excel but don’t know how to use excel functions to calculate basic formulas then this is the article for you.
Though there are many complicated functions performed by this software but here you will know how to use excel functions to perform basic functions in detailed steps. So let’s get started.
Function to calculate addition
1. Open the document you wish to calculate addition. This example shows sales in previous and this month. And now we need to find out the total sales.
2. Click in cell H8 to perform addition between last and this month’s sales.
3. Now press “equals” sign and click cell F8.
4. Now type “+” sign to perform addition.
5. Click cell G8 for this month sales of shoes.
6. Press Enter key. Total sales for shoes for current and previous month will get displayed.
7. Now click cell and put your cursor to the bottom-right of cell. You will notice the cursor changes to + sign.
8. Now press and hold left mouse button and drag to calculate total sales of all items.
Function to calculate subtraction
1. In this example, It is required to find this months sales and data for total and previous months are give.
2. Click in cell H8.
3. Now press “=” and click cell F8.
4. Now type “-” sign to perform subtraction.
5. Click cell G8.
6. Now press Enter. Here is your result.
7. Again hover your cursor to the bottom-right corner to change it to + sign.
8. Now press and hold left mouse button and drag, sales of this month of all items are calculated.
Function to calculate multiplication
1. This example has qty of items in one shop and tells how many shops are there. You need to find total qty of each item with the given data.
2. Click in the cell H8.
3. Now press “=” sign and click cell F8.
4. Now type “ * ” sign to perform multiplication.
5. Click cell G8.
6. Finally, press Enter key. You got the answer how many laptops are in 5 shops.
7. Hover your cursor at the below location to change it to plus sign.
8. Now press left mouse button and then drag downward to calculate all items total qty.
Function to calculate division
1. This example has total items in all qty and tells how many shops are there for individual item. Your problem is to find how many each item is there in one shop.
2. Click in the cell H8 to perform division between total items and total number of shops to find qty of laptops in one shop.
3. Now press “equals” sign and click cell F8 to select total items.
4. Now type “ / ” sign to perform division.
5. Click cell G8 for number of shops.
6. Finally, press Enter key. Here is the answer to how many laptops are there in one shop.
7. Now click the cell and bring your cursor to the bottom right of the handle, notice the plus sign appears on cursor.
8. Now press and hold left mouse button and drag, the total qty of all items in one shop are calculated.
So this is how to use excel functions. Need to edit Word/Excel/PPT file free of charge?
Download WPS Office edit files like without any cost. Download now! to get enjoyable working experience.
- 1. How to get month name from a date in Excel (3 easy ways)
- 2. Check if value is in list in Excel (3 easy methods)
- 3. How to Copy File Names in Excel from a Folder?
- 4. How to add text to beginning or end of all cells in Excel
- 5. How to color cell based on value in Excel?
- 6. How to compare two excel sheets and highlight differences