How to use pivot tables in excel
A free Office suite fully compatible with Microsoft Office
A pivot table is an amazing tool that allows you to calculate, analyze, and summarize data to see trends, patterns, and comparisons. If you want to learn how to use pivot tables in excel, you are in the right place.
This is one of the most powerful features of Excel and allows you to improve your work. Below you will learn the steps to create and how to use pivot tables in excel correctly.
How to use pivot tables in excel?
A pivot table is a tool that allows you to summarize and explore large amounts of data. In addition, it allows you to present summary reports and analyze related totals to filter and group different subsets of data.
By learning how to use pivot tables in excel mac, you will be able to present large amounts of data in an easy-to-use way. If you want to use a pivot table, you must learn how to insert it into your worksheet. You need to perform the following steps:
We will take a dataset of 6 fields and 213 records for this example. In addition, it contains order ID, amount, country, date, category, and product, as shown in the following image.
2. Then click on any individual cell within the dataset. On the Insert tab, in the Tables group, you will need to click on Pivot Table.
3. After clicking Pivot Table, a dialog box will pop. Excel will automatically select the data for you. The default location for your new pivot table is New Worksheet. Then you will need to click OK.
As you can see, the process of learning how to use pivot tables in excel online or how to insert a pivot table is simple and fast. You will have your pivot table with the data you need in simple steps.
How to Drag Fields in a PivotTable?
If you have already learned how to use pivot tables in excel, you may also need to drag fields. If you need to obtain the total amount exported for each product, you will need to follow these steps:
You will need to drag the following fields to the different areas: Product Field to the Rows area, Amount Field to the Values area, and Country Field to the Filters area.
Below, you can find the pivot table. In this example, bananas are the main export product.
If you also want to sort your data in the pivot table, you can go ahead with these steps:
In this example, we want to put Banana at the top of the list to sort the pivot table. Click any cell within the Sum column for the amount, and then right-click and click Sort, Sort Highest to Lowest.
As a result, you will get:
How to use pivot tables in excel two-dimensional?
If you need to know how to use pivot tables in excel 2016 that are two-dimensional, you are in the right place. You will create a two-dimensional pivot table if you drag a field to the row and column areas.
1. The first thing you need to do is insert a pivot table. You will need to drag the following fields to the different areas:
Country field to Rows areaProduct field to the Columns areaAmount field to the Values areaCategory field to the filter area
2. Below, you can find the much-needed two-dimensional pivot table.
Note: If you want to compare these numbers easily, you can create a pivot chart in Excel and apply a filter. How to use pivot tables in excel 2019 is a simple process, and you don't need to be an Excel expert.
Have you learned the correct way how how to use pivot tables in excel? A pivot table is a summary of all your data that allows you to generate reports and improve your work. If you have very long columns and rows with values you need to track the sums and compare, pivot tables will be very useful.
If you want to learn other special features of Excel, you can also follow WPS Academy. In addition, you can download WPS Office to create, process, and edit Excel, PowerPoint, and Word documents for free.
Was this helpful?
- 1. How to get month name from a date in Excel (3 easy ways)
- 2. How to compare two excel sheets and highlight differences
- 3. Check if value is in list in Excel (3 easy methods)
- 4. How to copy file names in Excel from a folder?
- 5. How to color cell based on value in Excel?
- 6. How to add month name from date in Excel formula