How to use what if function in excel (Easy Steps)
A free Office suite fully compatible with Microsoft Office
Excel's IF function is used to run a logical test and returns a value for a true or false result. If you want how to use what if function in excel, you should know that it works differently depending on whether the result is False or True.
The IF function can combine with logical functions such as AND and OR to extend the logical test. You should be aware that the result of the IF can be a cell reference, a value, or even another formula. Below you can learn a little more about how to use what if function in excel.
How to use what if function in excel
Before learning how to use what if function in excel 2019, you should know that this function consists of 3 components:
A logical test uses an operator sign to perform the logical comparison.A value to return if the logical test returns TRUE.A value to return if the logical test returns FALSE.
The format will be as follows: =IF(A1>B2; TRUE; FALSE).
A list of fruits in stock will use for this example. When the stock quantity is less than 20, a new order must place with the wholesaler. The IF function can help you with this task.
If the number of fruits is less than 20 (TRUE), you must place the order. While if the quantity is 20 or more (FALSE), you should not place the order. In the Status column: =IF(A1>B2; TRUE; FALSE.
By pressing Enter, the function will post the result for FALSE: No action, as the value in cell B2 is not less than 20. Then you can extend the IF function to the relevant cell range within the Status column. This will allow you to observe the result of each fruit:
3. At the end of the process of how to use what if function in excel 2016, you will be able to see which fruits you need to reorder.
How to use what if function in excel nested?
Suppose you need to learn how to use what if function in excel mac you are in the right place. You may need to use the IF function as a TRUE or FALSE value within another IF function. It is a way to test more than one condition within a function and return more than 2 results. For this process, you must execute the following steps:
1. For this nested how to use what if function in excel example, the same list of fruits will use, but reordering when the quantity is less than 20, and the fruits will go on sale when the quantity is 30 or greater.
In this case, the FALSE value will be replaced by a second IF function:
2. Press Enter to display the value in cell C2. In this case, it will extend the function to the relevant cell range in column C. It will allow you to find out which fruits need to be reordered. In addition, you will be able to know which fruits should be put on sale and which are the fruits that do not need any extra action.
The nested how to use what if function in excel online process is simple and convenient. But you should be aware that Excel allows you to nest up to 64 IF statements within a formula, which can be a bit complex if you don't have the required experience.
Have you learned how to use what if function in excel correctly? As you can see, these simple methods you can complete in a few steps will help you improve your work experience.
Excel allows you to store, analyze, organize, and report vast amounts of data. Furthermore, it offers you special functions like the IF function that allows you to run a logical test and returns a value for a true or false result.
If you want to learn other special features of Excel, you can also follow WPS Academy. In addition, you can download WPS Office to create, process, and edit Excel, PowerPoint, and Word documents.
- 1. How to get month name from a date in Excel (3 easy ways)
- 2. Check if value is in list in Excel (3 easy methods)
- 3. How to Copy File Names in Excel from a Folder?
- 4. How to add text to beginning or end of all cells in Excel
- 5. How to color cell based on value in Excel?
- 6. How to compare two excel sheets and highlight differences