How to write a formula in excel to add cells
A free Office suite fully compatible with Microsoft Office
If you have just started a job as a receptionist for a major company, you may be required to know how to use Excel. However, you do not have the necessary experience to run the software, much less to use the tools that complement it. It is time for you to change your knowledge about the software and try to use the formula in excel to add cells as a priority tool.
Learning how to use a formula in excel to add cells Online will allow you to add the cells easily you select. The process of using the formula in excel to add cells is simple; you have to follow a few methods:
How to use the sum function in Excel?
You can use the formula in excel to add cells using the SUM function, one of the simplest in software. But for you to enjoy this tool, you will have to:
1. Open the Excel document where you have previously created the columns and rows with the data.
2. Now, you will have to select a cell where you want the result of the sum to appear; in this case, cell F1 will be used.
3. You have to place the formula =SUM followed by the parentheses that will contain the symbols of the cells you want to add. One trick is using the “ALT + =” shortcut to activate the SUM tool on the selected cell.
4. Now, manually place the cells to be added, which in this case would be A1 through E1. You could also select with the mouse each cell to add.
5. As the last step, click “enter” and wait for the values to be added.
How to add an entire column in Excel with the SUM function?
If you want to apply the formula in excel to add cells Mac or Windows, but for a whole column, you will have to apply the following method:
1. Open the Excel document where you have the data to add in one or several columns.
2. Use the SUM or =SUM function and enter the cells to be added inside the parentheses.
3. Type the columns “A: A” and click on the column letter at the top of the file.
4. You can use the arrow keys on your keyboard to select the columns easily. You could also use Control + Space on Windows or Command + Space on Mac to select the entire column.
How to use auto sum in Excel?
One last method in which you can apply the formula in excel to add cells 2016 is by using the autosum tool. However, for you to have a good result with the formula in excel to add cells, you will have to:
1. Open the Excel document where you have the data to add. Now select all the cells to be added within one or more columns.
2. You will eventually have to use the “ALT + =” shortcut to activate the autosum tool. You could also do this step manually by going to the “formulas” tab and clicking on “autosum.”
Using the formula in excel to add cells 2019 may be much easier for you if you apply one of the methods explained previously. You only have to use the formula in excel to add cells that best suit you according to the situation in which you find yourself.
If all the information on how to use the formula in excel to add cells has been helpful to you, do not forget to show your gratitude to WPS Academy. With the website, you will learn more about formulas in excel to add cells and the use of other tools in the program. On the other hand, the program will allow you to download WPS Office without investing a single penny.
Was this helpful?
- 1. How to get month name from a date in Excel (3 easy ways)
- 2. Check if value is in list in Excel (3 easy methods)
- 3. How to compare two excel sheets and highlight differences
- 4. How to copy file names in Excel from a folder?
- 5. How to color cell based on value in Excel?
- 6. How to add month name from date in Excel formula