How to insert carriage return in Excel
A free Office suite fully compatible with Microsoft Office
· Option 1:
1. Click the cell within the long sentence.
2. Click where we want to insert carriage return, and press the shortcut Alt+Enter.
3. Then, the carriage return has been inserted. We push the content to a new line in the same cell.
· Option 2:
We want to combine the values of several cells into a new cell. And, we need each value to be a new line in the new cell.
If we use the shortcut key every time, it can be a very tedious task. In order to save time and improve efficiency, we can use the character function “CHAR” to insert a carriage return.
In this case, we want to combine the values from column A, column B, and column C into column D.
1. Click cell D2, and enter “=A2&CHAR(10)&B2&CHAR(10)&C2”.
2. Click the other cell, then we can get the result in D2 after using the CHAR(10) function. (Note: “CHAR(10)” represents carriage return.)
3. Click the lower right corner of cell C2. When the cursor turns to a black cross, drop down the fill handle to fill the cells. In this way, we can fill the formula in the cell range D2:D14.
4. Select column D, click the Home tab → the Wrap Text button.
5. We find that each cell of D2:D14 is divided into 3 lines by the line break, which means that we have inserted carriage return successfully.
To be office excel advanced, you could learn how to use WPS Office Spreadsheet online in WPS Academy.
Was this helpful?
- 1. How to get month name from a date in Excel (3 easy ways)
- 2. How to compare two excel sheets and highlight differences
- 3. Check if value is in list in Excel (3 easy methods)
- 4. How to copy file names in Excel from a folder?
- 5. How to color cell based on value in Excel?
- 6. How to add month name from date in Excel formula