How to insert table of contents in Word
A free Office suite fully compatible with Microsoft Office
Tables of contents and indexes are important as they allow you to find the document's information you are looking for easily. In Word, a table of contents is based on content titles. Word insert table of contents is very useful, especially in very long documents.
If you want your document to be well organized and planned, you must create a table of contents to make it easier to locate certain important points. Next, you will be able to know the steps that you must follow to Word insert table of contents, also called (TDC or TOC).
How to Word insert table of contents in simple steps?
If you have to make a long Word document, like a report or an academic work, you should Word insert table of contents. Word offers useful tools that make working and organizing your documents easier. The procedure is simple and fast and will not take much time. You have to follow these steps:
1. To create a table of contents, you need to place your cursor where you want to add the table of contents. Next, go to References and then to Table of Contents.
2. You can choose an automatic style, then the table of contents will appear in the document. If you make changes to the document that may affect the table of contents, you must update it by right-clicking on the table of contents and selecting Update Field.
As you can see, Word insert table of contents is very easy and will make your document more original. In addition, you will have the opportunity to apply title styles to your document to personalize it, allowing you to organize your work's structure.
How to insert a table of contents in Word with links?
You can also word insert table of contents with links. Links or hyperlinks allow you to click anywhere in the table of contents and navigate directly to the web page. To place links to your table of contents in Word, you have to follow these steps:
1. In the Home tab, you must use Styles to be consistent in the document to create its structure.You should put the cursor at the position where you want to insert word insert table of contents with links, and then click References> Table of Contents> Custom Table of Contents.
2. In the Table of Contents, you should keep the options Show hyperlinks instead of the number of pages checked, then click on Options. In the Table of Contents dialog, you need to assign the level to the relative heading you want to use. Finally, click OK> OK.
Have you learned how to Word insert table of contents? It is an easy Word tool for anyone to use and will allow you to find important information easily. If you want to learn more about the functions and features of Word, you can use WPS Academy.
Additionally, you will have the opportunity to download the WPS Office software for free, which will allow you to process documents in Excel, Word, and PowerPoint. WPS Office is the official partner of the 2022 Beijing Winter Olympics.
Was this helpful?
- 1. How to add fonts in WPS Office word
- 2. How to delete a blank page in WPS Writer Word?
- 3. How to insert a signature in WPS Writer
- 4. How can we add a horizontal line at the footer
- 5. How can we use equation editor in WPS Writer
- 6. How can we change the spacing before and after a paragraph in WPS Writer